Republic of India
World Convention is currently building a global reference for the countries and territories where we know there are Christian – Churches of Christ – Disciples of Christ Congregations. Of the 193 United Nations States, the Stone-Campbell Movement exists in 177. This listing includes other nations and territories, numbering 198 countries where there is at least one representation of our churches.
Rather than waiting for comprehensive, complete information we are putting up the details we have available. If you can correct or add to this information, please contact the World Convention Office with details at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The size and complexity of India make a brief overview of its background difficult. Roughly one billion people inhabit the Indian sub-continent which covers an area of 3,288,000 sq km (1,269,000 sq miles) making it the world’s second most populous country. Seven hundred languages are spoken in India with several different religious and ethnic groups claiming large segments of the population. North to south the country can be divided into three geographic regions: the Himalayas and their foothills; the Indo-Gangetic Plain and the Deccan Plateau.
The earliest of India’s various civilizations developed in the Indus Valley by 2600 B.C. and in the Ganges Valley by about 1500 B.C. At this time the subcontinent was mainly populated with ethnic Dravidians. It is believed that the Indus Valley civilization succumbed to an invasion of Sanskrit-speaking Aryan peoples who introduced the caste system, a scheme of social division that has been fundamental to Indian life and culture to this day. Subsequent centuries brought about a complexity of different empires and dynasties under various powerful leaders, including Greek, Arab, Turkish, and Mongol influences. In 1600 the East India Company was founded which opened up trade between Britain, Europe, China and India. Beginning in 1805 the British began control of India introducing a civil service and code of law which have shaped modern India in the last two centuries. Britain’s Queen Victoria was made Empress of India in 1876. Independence from Britain was granted in 1947 but the division between Hindus and Muslims led to a violent partitioning of India and Pakistan (see Pakistan Profile). Today India is a Federal Republic with two legislative bodies, known as the Council of States and People’s Assembly. India is the world’s largest democracy and the oldest and most successful democracy in Asia.
The Indian economy staggers under the sheer volume of the population exceeding one billion people. The Gross National Product per capita is less than US$350. Agriculture is the largest sector of the economy claiming more than two-thirds of the economic base. Services and industry make up the remaining third of the economy. India has a growing middle-class now numbering almost 200 million and the work force includes many highly skilled people including those trained in high-tech areas and computer programming. Textiles are an important part of the industrial sector and in recent years there have been massive investments made in India by foreign interests. Huge defense budgets, particularly devoted to the long standing conflict with Pakistan, have been a detriment as is the lack of modern infrastructure.
The dominant religious force in India is Hindu which accounts for 80% of the population. In the 8th century Muslims began to move into the northern part of India and began to flourish. With the partitioning of Pakistan in the 20th century most of the Muslim population of India was located in that area. Millions more relocated. Today about 14% of the Indian population are Muslim. Buddhism flourished between 500 and 200 B.C. but today less than 1 percent of Indians are Buddhists. Christianity was said to have been brought to India by the Apostle Thomas in the first century. Presently less than 3% of Indians espouse any form of Christianity. Sikhism and Jainism are also prevalent among small minorities.
Reflecting the overall history and culture of India the story of the Stone-Campbell Movement in India is long, complex and difficult to quantify in present day numbers. India has long been the destination for missionaries of the Stone-Campbell Movement from the United States, Canada, Great Britain and Australia. The first Stone-Campbell Movement missionaries sent to India were four single women: Mary Graybiel, Ada Boyd, Mary Kingsbury and Laura Kinsey, sent by the Christian Woman’s Board of Missions and Mr. and Mrs. G.L. Wharton, were sent at the same time by the Foreign Christian Missionary Society. The small band arrived in Bombay early in November of 1882, seven weeks after leaving the United States. When they left the Untied States the group had begun without a knowledge of where they were going. There was no established mission station and no friends to greet them and aid their initial efforts. The difficulties before them in this great new land were enormous, not the least of which was the mastery of the Hindi language. The area chosen for the mission was the Central Provinces, the heart of India, and the location selected was Harda, four hundred miles from Bombay. Initial work in India was done among the women and children, called zenana work, visiting higher caste wives and mothers in their homes, beginning Sunday schools then day schools. Evangelistic work developed slowly and led to the development of a small church.
The Foreign Society sent Mr. and Mrs. J. Morton Adams in 1883 to aid those already in India. Eventually the Mortons settled in Bilaspur, a town 500 miles west of Calcutta, and were joined by Misses Boyd, Graybiel and Kingsbury and soon the station in Bilaspur would included a Girls’ Orphanage and hospital. A third station was opened in Mungeli, near Bilaspur, under G.W. Jackson, a former Wesleyan missionary to India. In 1894 the work was expanded to include Bina, an important railway center two hundred miles from Bilaspur. Mr. and Mrs. Ben Mitchell began the work there centering their activities among the railway workers. A Boys’ Orphanage was built in Damoh. A severe famine followed by pestilence in the last years of the nineteenth century tested the strengths and bounds of these pioneer missionaries and the early mission stations. Learning the language always remained a difficult task, sometimes taking upwards of two years before effective communication for the work could be mastered. But as soon as they were able the missionaries spoke and preached and soon were writing and distributing Gospel tracts. It was through a tract written by Mr. Wharton that the first convert in Harda was made. Soon Brother Wharton began education classes teaching young men on the veranda of his home, including the training of young men for ministry. From this humble beginning Christian schools in Harda grew. Later there was the dream to build a Bible College in India which was eventually begun in Jubbulpore after the turn of the century. A new mission station in Hatta was opened in 1902 under the direction of Mr. and Mrs. G.W. Coffman and shortly thereafter leadership was taken over by John G. McGavran and Dr. and Mrs. David Rioch of the Canadian Churches of Christ. Later the Boys’ Orphanage at Damoh came under the direction of Dr. and Mrs. Rioch. Though the early work was slow, it was deliberate, and the fruit of their labors became evident with the growing success for Christ of the mission stations.
By the time of the merger of the American missionary societies into the United Christian Missionary Society (UCMS) in 1920 nearly seventy missionaries had served in India in the previous four decades. The work in India had continued to grow, expanding to the north, south and also in the middle area. Included in the mission were educational, medical, industrial and benevolent works in addition to the evangelistic efforts. In 1928 the UCMS published an extensive report on the work of the American Disciples known as the Survey of Service (Christian Board of Publication, St. Louis). The report on India indicated that there were then present on the field a missionary staff of 86 persons, or 23 families and 24 single women in 14 widely scattered stations. More than $420,000 had been invested in buildings and equipment for India with an annual maintenance budget for the work nearing $225,000. Among missionaries to go the field in the 1920s were two second generations workers, Dr. Donald McGavran and Dr. Victor Rambo both arrived in 1923, their parents having first gone to India in 1891. McGavran and Rambo are two missionary names that left an indelible mark on the development of India.
However, the Survey indicated that the work was over-extended covering an area far too great for the number of missionary staff and resources available. Also indicated in the Survey was the fact that while many Indian preachers, workers and Bible women had been trained there were far too few national workers for the population and the resources of the mission were not sufficient to pay the Indian workers adequately. Recommendations of the Survey were to concentrate the mission activity in a smaller area, particularly in areas around Bilaspur, Mungeli, Pendra, Kotmi, Damoh and Jubbulpore, the latter being the mission headquarters. The UCMS had also begun to advocate a federated approach to missions in India involving the development of associations with other denominations and eventual partnership in the management and future development of schools and medical institutions. Among some of the missionaries serving in India there was contention around these associations when they involved denominations that did not practice immersion. Sterling G. and Dr. Zoena Rothermel were among the missionaries who opposed the new direction of the United Society and after a furlough from India beginning in 1921 in which they were not allowed to return to the field the Rothermels became direct-support missionaries to India, beginning in 1926. While Sterling Rothermel died on the field in about 1928 Dr. Zoena Rothermel continued her work as a medical missionary in India until 1965. Another family to break ties with the UCMS and become direct-support or “independent” missionaries in this era (1928) was Mr. and Mrs. Harry Schaefer. These events began to signal a new era in American mission work in India.
November of 1932 saw the annual convention assemble in Jubbulpore to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of the arrival of the first Disciples missionaries in India. The churches marked the “Year of Jubilee” by setting definite goals for self-support, self-government and self-propagation. Increasingly efforts of the Mission were directed toward the depressed classes or lower castes. “The Growing Church in India” was the slogan adopted for the next decade.
The historic Survey of Service was taken just before the Great Depression occurred in United States with rippling financial repercussions throughout the world. At the same time divisions within the American Disciples began to have serious implications for the missionary activity, the Missionary Society and the mission fields. With the advent of the Second World War in the late 1930s and U. S. involvement from 1941 on many missionaries were forced from the field or prevented from returning. As a result Disciples activity in India did not continue in the same pattern of growth that had been experienced in the early decades of the mission though several excellent advancements were made. By the late 1950s more than two hundred missionaries from the American sector of the Stone-Campbell Movement had served or were then serving in India. With the national independence of India in 1947 there began to be increasing pressure upon the mission and missionaries both externally (from the government) and internally, for independence for the young church.
In the last half of the twentieth century as the Disciples restructured into the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) the pattern of mission work changed direction away from older methods of conversion and evangelism. A greater emphasis has been placed on the work of national leaders, the development of indigenous workers and partnering with other denominations/united bodies. In 1971 the mission work of the American Disciples and the British Churches of Christ merged with other groups to become the united Church of North India. Today the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the United States and Canada maintains an historic relationship with the Church of North India providing personnel and financial contributions and as well as it financially supports the Church of South India. The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) continues to financially support numerous medical, educational and benevolent organizations within India and maintains an historic and financial relationship with several medical institutions begun in the early days of the mission.
As previously mentioned the 1920s saw a shift in policy of the United Society of the American churches which led to the establishment of independent or direct-support missions in India. Probably the first were Sterling G. and Dr. Zoena Rothermel who had previously served in India with the United Society but returned as independent missionaries in 1926. They established the United Provinces Christian Mission locating in Maudha purchasing the mission property there from the United Christian Missionary Society. Succumbing to a severe attack of tropical fever Sterling Rothermel died in 1928. Dr. Zoena Rothermel continued to serve the people of India until 1965 and in the later decades of her mission was aided by her daughter and son-in-law, Jean and William Roland. The Rolands ministered in India for fifty years, until 1997, serving in various capacities including at Lakeview Bible College in Madras, an orphanage, at the Woodstock School and in a leprosy treatment and control program.
Central Provinces India Mission was established in 1928 as a direct-support mission in Bilaspur by Harry and Emma Schaeffer, Sr. Harry died in Calcutta in April of 1946. The work begun was later carried on by Harry Schaeffer, Jr. In March of 1948 the Schaeffer family was joined in Bilaspur by Bernel and Joan Getter who have since served in India for six decades giving leadership to Church of Christ Mission in India in the Surguja District, Pradesh. The Getters have seen the scope of their work grow in amazing proportions over more than fifty years of labor. The mission includes nearly one hundred Christian communities, three dozen schools, six children’s hostels housing almost six hundred children, one hundred and fifty full and part-time evangelists and a medical clinic. The Getters have also given significant aid in bettering Indian agriculture.
After the Second World War Americans Leah Moshier, Dolly Chitwood, and Tom and Leota Rash sailed to India and began language study at a school in the Himalayas. The group, soon joined by the Frank Rempels, made plans to open a Bible college in Kulpahar on more than twenty-eight acres land that had originally been purchased in about 1906 by the Christian Woman’s Board of Mission and used as a mission station. Though their initial plans had been to establish a Bible college, along with the property the young missionaries inherited a group of widows, their children, and others of unfortunate circumstances. With ten children already in-house and the arrival of baby Sosun, an opium-fed infant put in their charge, the missionaries soon began the Kulpahar Kid’s Home. Before the year was out Kulpahar Christian School was begun to see to the children’s education. The Bible College operated until 1958 until it had to be closed due to lack of funds. Several other missionaries made Kulpahar their home in successive decades but the constant force in the life of the children for five decades has been Dolly Chitwood and Leah Moshier. Dolly Chitwood died on the field in 1995 and Leah Moshier, together with Linda Stanton and Sharon Cunningham, continue the work of the Stone-Campbell Movement begun in Kulpahar nearly one hundred years ago.
A very large number of other mission and ministry agencies working in India are supported by the American Christian Churches and Churches of Christ including: Mid India Christian Mission, in the Damoh area begun in 1970 by Dr. Vijai Lall in 1970; North India Christian Mission, in the Punjab area, under the leadership of Deepak and Simmi Dhingra; Central India Christian Mission, working in the Damoh area, begun in 1982 is under the direction of Dr. Ajai and Indu Lall; Benevolent Social Services of India, in the Chittoor area, under the direction of Emrys and Usha Rees, (the second generation of the Rees family); Strategic World Evangelism, in the Madras area, founded in 1971, under the direction of Leonard and Pam Thompson; Kuki Christian Church Mission, in the Manipur area, begun in 1980; North East India Christian Mission, working in the Meghalaya area, under the direction of Billton Sohkhlet; P.V. Alexander Ministries, working in the Kerala area; CARE India, working in the Pradesh area, under the direction of P.V. John. Elden and Dorothy Weesner have served as missionaries in the Chennai area of India since 1969; the Jerry Lacson family serves in Nilgiris. FAME, White Fields Evangelism, Hasten International and the Gospel Broadcasting Mission are among the American-based ministry organizations that have also done important work in India. These are just some of the many ministries, missions and missionaries from this stream of the Movement doing the work of the Lord throughout the nation of India. It is difficult to estimate the number of churches and members of the Christian Churches/Churches of Christ in India, but to give just one example, Central India Christian Mission has planted over 1,000 churches in the past 30 years and close to 250,000 people will attend those churches again this coming Sunday.
According to Mac Lynn’s Churches of Christ around the World, a cappella Churches of Christ have their beginning in India when a Presbyterian in Mawlai (a suburb of Shillong) discovered a church bulletin from the Hillcrest congregation of Abilene, Texas (USA). Intrigued with the idea of being simply Christian without denominational affiliation, the individual wrote to the church. Eventually the congregation commissioned E.W. McMillan, then serving in Japan, to go to India to visit. Some follow-up was done by members of the American Christian Churches and later Parker Henderson and Ken Rideout also visited in Mawlai to strengthen the believers. J.C. Bailey of Canada moved to Shillong and enlisted other Canadians to come and share in the work. Among those was David Hallett who spent more than twenty-five years teaching and establishing congregations. Bailey moved to Madras and later to Kakinada, in the process lighting a spark for the evangelization of India.
By 1965 the Churches of Christ were introduced into Bombay by American B.D. Carter and Indian preacher Joshua Gootam. The early converts were from Andhra and worshipped in their native Telugu. As a result of this the masses of Bombay were not reached. Later American Mark Hopper arrived and began services in English and some in Hindi, dominant languages. A number of other Americans became active in the work in India, several as short-term workers and as visiting preachers and teams. Several congregations began to be established and schools were begun to train workers for these new congregations. Much progress was made in the West Godavri District in the Andhra Province due in part to the establishment of the Church of Christ School by Joshi Samuel. A major aspect of the work in India has been 17 regular radio programs, literature printed in 13 languages, several leadership training schools and preacher training schools, including Alpha Bible College which operated in Shillong for twenty-five years before closing in 1996. At present India Preacher Training School in Hyderbad claims 12,000 students.
J.C. Bailey reported in the 1990s that the number of congregations had grown from three in Assam in northeastern India in the 1960s to four thousand in twenty of the nation’s twenty-five states. An estimated 600,000 people had been baptized to that point (some estimated over 1 million in twenty-five years) and approximately one thousand natives were in the preaching ministry. The largest concentration of Churches of Christ is in the state of Andhra Pradesh. Ron and Karen Clayton, missionaries in India for over 30 years, have kept detailed records of congregations and baptisms and list 48,880 Churches of Christ in India with a combined membership of 1,139,562 as of 2014.
For much of the history of the Canadian Churches of Christ they have shared with their American counterparts in mission activity and supplied several individuals who ministered through the American missionary societies (see Canada profile). Beginning in 1898 Canadians who served the field in India include: David Rioch, Dr. Martha Smith, Ethel Smith Monroe, W.C. Macdougall, Emma Jane Ennis, James P. McLeod, Dr. Dorthea Macdougall, Wilhelmina MacDougall, Alice Porter, Rex and Dorothy Menzies Bicks, and others. As an example of the valuable service rendered by the Canadians in India is Miss Emma Jane Ennis (1879-1964). Emma Jane served as a missionary-teacher for more than three decades eventually reaching the position of Director of the Burgess Memorial School for Girls in Bilaspur and was awarded several medals by the British monarchy for her service in India. Commenting on her years she wrote “If the people of Canada and the U.S.A. knew the Indian people as I know them, there is nothing they would not do for them, and it would not be a sacrifice.” (For biographical sketches of some of the early Canadian missionaries to India see Rueben Butchart’s History of the Disciples of Christ in Canada Since 1830, Canadian Headquarters’ Publications, 1949.)
The British Churches of Christ established the Churches of Christ Mission in 1909 situated in the Palamau District, Bihar and Orissa Province under the direction of Mr. and Mrs. G. P. Pittman (Australians). Five years later the London Missionary Society transferred their Dudhi Mission, District Mirazapur, U.P. to the British Churches of Christ. At that time the Pittmans relocated to the Dudhi Mission and the Palamau station was taken over by Archie and Maggie Watters who served in India until 1927. An early feature of this work was an affiliation and cooperation with other mission councils. Expansion of the Mission was seen during the inter-war period but there were also increasing tensions due to the independence movement.
Following the Second World War and the independence of India the British work was extended to include the state of Madhya Pradesh though this move aroused the hostility of local Hindu leaders. These actions brought false charges against the missionaries and led to the imprisonment of missionary Jack Christie. Despite these obstacles the work was met with success. Increasingly in the 1950s control of the work was passed to the local Churches’ Representative Committee, three of the stations were transferred to other missions and the work in Daltonganj became a union church in 1957. The British supported Churches of Christ were early involved in the discussions to form the Church of North India though these talks stalled for some years over the question of “re-baptism.” But by 1969 the Indian Churches voted unanimously to adopt the revised plan of union which was inaugurated in 1971 with four of the Indian leaders and the last remaining British missionary, George Sharpe, accepted as Presbyters of the new Church.
In 1891 Australian Mary Thompson joined the Foreign Christian Missionary Society work in Harda, India under the financial support of the Australian churches. Soon Henry (Harry) Strutton went to work with the Poona and Indian Village Mission with the support of his home congregation in Australia. Other Australians of the Churches of Christ also worked with PIVM and later would transfer to the Churches of Christ Mission. And a few years later fellow Australian F.E. Stubbin joined Thompson in India as a “mechanical missionary” aiding in the construction on the still developing field. By the first years of the twentieth century the Australian churches did not have a mission station of their own in India, but rather had been supporting Australian missionaries working with other organizations. When seventy representatives from four Australian states gathered at a Foreign Missions Conference met in Melbourne in April of 1903 it was resolved that they should commence an independent mission station of their own in a foreign land. Strutton soon convinced the Australian congregations that the Baramati District in the Bombay area (southwest India) would be a good location for an Australian mission and by 1905 the start of the work was in place when the Struttons purchased a small piece of property in Baramati and set up housekeeping in a tent. They were the first westerners to live in the town. Mr. Strutton and an Indian evangelist recruited from another mission did a survey and began evangelistic work. Mrs. Strutton began sewing classes for women. It was twelve months before the first five converts were baptized but out of this number grew early leaders of the Baramati church, which was constituted on October 7, 1906.
The work of the Australian Churches of Christ was blessed and in the following years in Baramati was built a mission residence, workman’s house, welfare center, primary school, trade school, church building, dispensary and a library-reading room. Rosa Tilley came from PIVM and itinerated around adjoining villages; she taught women and children in Baramati and Shrigonda. Other mission centers were similarly developed. Henry and Helen Watson also came from PIVM and began evangelistic work in nearby Diksal. Despite the difficulties present in the caste system and the influenza epidemic of 1918 the Australian mission prospered. By 1923 there were fifteen missionaries (many of whom would serve several decades in India), twenty-six Indian staff, three churches, ten outstations and 124 members. Forty-nine baptisms were reported that year. Two years later the Baramati congregation began its own “home mission” when it started an outreach in the village of Bori. A hospital was begun in 1927 in Daund (which attained a very high reputation for its services) and in the same year the four main congregations established in western India formed the Conference of Churches of Christ in Western India. With that, greater leadership of the mission began to be passed to the Indians.
The 1930s and 40s did not prove to be the era of growth that had been anticipated. With agitation against the British Colonial Government and the push for independence, the efforts of “foreigners” in India found a difficult context in which to proceed. World War II also diverted much Australian attention from the work in India. Total membership of the Churches reached 400 in the beginning of the 1940s. The role of the Indian Christians in the work of the Conference therefore took on a vital role. Following independence in 1947 there was a considerable effort put forth to expel all foreign missionaries from India, however, Prime Minister Nehru refused to act with the order. The Australian missionaries had for some time worked for sometime to be in a position in which their presence was not essential and the years after independence saw them continuing to build an independent church. A ten year “Indianisation Plan” was begun in 1954 as a gradual process whereby control of the Conference was transferred to Indians. In this new era the missionaries aided their Indian colleagues to develop the life of the churches, were involved with education, land issues, literature and medical work. The Australian Overseas Missions Board made it policy that by 1971 no Australian was to be in charge of any aspect of the work thereby passing all authority to the local leaders.
Among the important developments of the Australian mission in this era was the emphasis on education which led to new generations of young people trained for greater opportunities in work and service. New forms of outreach included the establishment of Friendship Centers with reading rooms, facilities for indoor games and counseling. A Tract Club, Mobile Bookshop, Bible Correspondence School and an agricultural development program were established. Contacts were maintained with the American Disciples and British Churches of Christ in Central India but participation in union discussions that saw these other groups become a part of the United Church were limited. An annual convention was established in Central India for all “Churches of Christ” throughout India and also includes many of the missions sponsored by the American Christian Churches and Churches of Christ.
Throughout the last decades of the twentieth century and into the next the Australian Churches of Christ through the Overseas Mission Board has continued to aid the work of Churches of Christ in India. Among the work currently supported is the Bombay Christian Centre (a hostel for young men), Mumbai Slum Ministry, Children’s Homes in Baramati and Shrigonda, Bible Correspondence Courses, Ashwood Memorial Hospital at Daund, and a model farm in Shrigonda. Pastor Kiron Gaikwad from the Baramati area with Australian Churches of Christ support has moved out to Yavatmal in the North West of Maharastra State to work amongst tribal peoples. His ministry now reaches thirteen tribes and he has established a hostel for young poor tribal children.
Pastor Bhimrao S.Thavare has become the first overseas missionary to serve in another land from the Conference of Churches of Christ in Western India. Along with his wife and three children he is working with Global Mission Partners amongst the Indian People in Suva, Fiji.
Dr. Iris Paul of the Reaching Hand Society, working in the mountains of Orissa, is also a partner in ministry with GMP.
Summary: If the numbers reported from Churches of Christ and Christian Churches/Churches of Christ in India are accurate, then there may be as many as 1.5 million adherents of the Stone-Campbell Movement in India.
Clinton J. Holloway
National Profiles Editor
Revised by Gary Holloway, March 5, 2014
For further historical reference:
Churches of Christ Around the World, Lynn, Mac, 21st Century Christian Publications, Nashville, TN, 2003.
History of the Christian Woman’s Board of Missions, Ida Withers Harrison, privately published, 1920.
The History of the Foreign Christian Missionary Society, Archibald McLean, Fleming H. Revell Company, New York, 1919.
History of the British Churches of Christ, A.C. Watters, School of Religion, Butler University, Indianapolis, IN, 1948.
Let Sects and Parties Fall, A Short History of the Association of Churches of Christ in Great Britain and Ireland, David M. Thompson, Berean Press, Birmingham, 1980.
Winged Feet, Margaret Watters, privately published autobiography, 1981.
Survey of Service, W.R. Warren, Editor, Christian Board of Publication, St. Louis, MO., 1928.
Partners, One Hundred Years of Mission Overseas by Churches of Christ in Australia, 1891-1991, Keith Bowes, Editor, Vital Publications, 1990.
History of the Disciples of Christ in Canada since 1830, Reuben Butchart, Canadian Headquarters’ Publications, Toronto, Canada, 1949.
They Went to India, Biographies of Missionaries of the Disciples of Christ, United Christian Missionary Society, Indianapolis, Indiana, 1954.
See the Disciples of Christ Historical Society, Nashville, Tennessee, USA for the personal paper and artifact collections of several missionaries to India.
For online directories of a cappella Churches of Christ see:
Trulock Theological Seminary, Manipur, India
See below: Kuki Christian Church Mission
Lakeview Bible College and Seminary
3363-P AE 8thStreet
Anna Nagar, Madras 600040 India
For further information contact Strategic World Evangelism listed below.
Living Stone Preachers Training School
Near Mani Public Weigh Bridge
Guntur-Dist. A.P. INDIA
Yahoo Instant Messenger: email@example.com
Madras College of Evangelism
Peter and Cathy Ignatius
W-83 North Main Road
Madras 600101 India
Preacher Training School
Care of K.G. Kumar
Ravindranagar, Turangi 533 016
Bethlehem Bible College
Dr. J.K. Henry, Director
M.P. 470661 India
India Christian Bible College
John and Annamma Philipose
Cochin -682021 – Kerala
Reaching Hand Society, Dr. Iris Paul
Malkangiri P.O. Malkanfgiri District
Orissa – 764 045
Khasi Hills Christian Ministries
Phillip and Margaret Ho
Meghalaya 793008 India
P.V and Molly John
506 Rajendra Apartments
158 Beracah Road
Kilpauk, Madras 60010 India
Church of Christ India Mission
Bernel and Joan Getter
P.O. Sitapur, Surguja District
M.P. India 497-111 India
In the United States contact:
Plainfield Christian Church
800 Dan Jones Road
Plainfield, IN 46168
Church of Christ Mission
Kulpahar Kids’ Home and Christian School
Kulpahar, Mahoba District, Uttar Pradesh
North East India Christian Mission, Billton Sohkhlet
Pahamsyiem Nongpoh, Post Office Nongpoh
PIN 793102, Ri-Bhoi District
P.V. Alexander Ministries
Churches of Christ
Mission Hill, Ayur P.O.
Central India Christian Mission, Ajai Lall
P.O. Box 11, Damoh, M.P. 470-661 India
Telephone: 91 7812 23300 or 91 7812 21800
Fax: 91 7812 23301
Kuki Christian Church Mission
P.O. Box 52 ,Imphal 795001
Email: Pat Snyder (Treasurer) firstname.lastname@example.org
North India Christian Mission, Deepak Dhingra
Contact: Jeff Gygi, Project Punjab Forwarding Agent
C/O Eastview Christian Church
2745 Old Morgantown Rd.
Martinsville, IN 46151
Mid India Christian Mission
Pushpa Lall, Stanley and Doll Lall, Vivert and Neelam Lall
Damoh, MP 470 661 India
Telephone: 011 91 7812 224123
Fax 011 91 7812 224111
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Harvest International/Mid India Christian Mission
David and Sheela Lall
M.P. 470661 India
Southwest India Christian Mission
John and Mariamma Matthew
South India Church of Christ Mission
David and Philomina Morris
11 Ramanathan St., Kilpauk
Jaintia India Mission
Bnasan and Marguerite Uriah
Jainta Hills Distirct
Meghalaya – 793150 India
Kerala Christian Mission
Matthew and Rachel Varughese
Church of Christ
Brother Rajan Ipe
Kottayam -686004, Kerala
Benevolent Social Services of India
Emrys and Usha Rees
David Rees Leprosy Hospital
Yerpedu, Chittoor Dt., A.P. 517619 India
Medical Educational Assistance Program, Inc.
Elden and Dorothy Weesner
Jerry, Heather, Rod Lacson
SEEDS (Socio-Economic and Evangelical Development Society)
Church of Christ
Komala Kumar, Director
Thubadu (PO) Nadendla (MD) Guntur(DT) Pin 522234
A.P., South India
New Life India Ministries, Rusty Swafford
P.O. Box 1331
Athens, TN 37371
Published by Strategic World Evangelism (see above)
Australian Churches of Christ Global Mission Partners
PO Box 341
TORRENSVILLE PLAZA SA 5031
114 Henley Beach Road
TORRENSVILLE SA 5031
All India Convention of Churches of Christ/Christian Churches
For further information contact Strategic World Evangelism (see above)