New Caledonia and Dependencies
World Convention is currently building a global reference for the nearly 180 countries and territories where we know there are Christian – Churches of Christ – Disciples of Christ Congregations. Rather than wait for comprehensive, complete information we are putting up the details we have readily available. If you can correct or add to this information, please contact us with details at email@example.com References for further information will be in the form of web sites and mailing addresses.
New Caledonia is a group of islands about 1,500 km (900 miles) off the northeast coast of Australia, near the island Republic of Vanuatu. Inhabited by indigenous Kanaks who call the land Kanaky, the islands were visited by the Spanish in the sixteenth and seventeen centuries, by Captain Cook in 1774 who gave it the name New Caledonia, and it served as a French penal colony between 1853 and 1897. New Caledonia remains a French dependency with the native peoples today representing only 47% of the population.
The Australian Christian magazine reports in the July 8, 1998 issue the first Churches of Christ congregation has been established in the French dependency of New Caledonia. This information was given as a report on the mission activities of the Churches of Christ in Vanuatu.
Bible correspondence courses were begun in New Caledonia in 1991 by the American a cappella Churches of Christ with plans to plant a congregation. No further information is known regarding this effort.
Clinton J. Holloway
National Profiles Editor
Australian Churches of Christ Overseas Missions Board