World Convention is currently building a global reference for the countries and territories where we know there are Christian – Churches of Christ – Disciples of Christ Congregations. Of the 193 United Nations States, the Stone-Campbell Movement exists in 174. This listing includes other nations and territories, numbering 195 countries where there is at least one representation of our churches.
Rather than waiting for comprehensive, complete information we are putting up the details we have available. If you can correct or add to this information, please contact the World Convention Office with details at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Republic of Paraguay is bordered by Argentina to the south and southwest, Brazil to the east and northeast, and Bolivia to the northwest. Its capital and largest city is Asunción.
89.9% of the population is Catholic, 6.2% is evangelical Christian, 1.1% identify with other Christian groups, and 0.6% practice indigenous religions.
In 1918, the Christian Woman’s Board of Mission began a work in Asuncion, Paraguay, led by C. Manly (1884-1976) and Selah (1886-1970) Morton. In 1919, they founded the Colegio International, a coeducational boarding school. By 1928, there was a church at the school, but opposition from some Catholic leaders, the Chaco War, and the Great Depression all hindered church building. The best known ministry growing from the mission was the establishment of a leper colony in 1934 by Dr. John Hay (1863-1943) and Malcolm Norment (1890-1969), supported by the United Christian Missionary Society. Through the 1950s and 1960s more church planting took place, as the churches indigenized as the Christian Church, Disciples of Christ in Paraguay. In spite of difficult political situations, those churches today number over a dozen with 3600 adherents. The Division of Overseas Ministries of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) also partners with Comite de Iglesias Para Ayuda de Emergencia (CIPAE), Mision de Amistad, and the Primera Escuela Paraguaya de Sordos.
Churches of Christ began working in Paraguay in 1965. Luis Ramirez, beginning in 1976, and the Forest McDonald family from 1981-1984, were Church of Christ missionaries in Paraguay. In 2003 the mission organization Continent of Great Cities sent a team to Asuncion who have since planted three congregations. The Asuncion Bible Academy began classes in 2013 under the direction of Troy Spradlin, missionary to Paraguay.
In 1994 the International Churches of Christ planted the Asuncion church.
Created by Gary Holloway, October 14, 2013