World Convention - Christian - Churches of Christ - Disciples of Christ
Connecting Everywhere, Every Day

Venezuela


 

Venezuela

 

World Convention is currently building a global reference for the  countries and territories where we know there are Christian – Churches of Christ – Disciples of Christ Congregations. Of the 193 United Nations States, the Stone-Campbell Movement exists in 174. This listing includes other nations and territories, numbering 195 countries where there is at least one representation of our churches.

Rather than waiting for comprehensive, complete information we are putting up the details we have available. If you can correct or add to this information, please contact the World Convention Office with details at gary@worldconvention.org.

Background

Venezuela is located on the north of South America, bordered by  Columbia, Brazil, and Guyana. Caracas is the capital and largest city with a metropolitan population of over 3 million.

Religion

According to government estimates, 92% of the population is at least nominally Roman Catholic, and the remaining 8% are either irreligious, Protestant, or a member of another religion.

Stone-Campbell Presence

Beginning in the late 1940’s American Disciples began a relationship with the Evangelical Pentecostal Union of Venezuela. From 1963 missionaries Juan Marcos and Flor Rivera along with many Disciple fraternal workers from the United States and Puerto Rico cemented that ecumenical relationship.

Churches of Christ entered Venezuela through the work of Atilo Pinto and Clifford Tucker in Caracas. Bob Brown provided leadership for the churches from 1977 to 1995.

In 2006 the International Churches of Christ planted the Caracas Church of Christ

 

 

Created by Gary Holloway, October 16, 2013

Contact Information

A. National Office

 

B. Congregational Information

 

C. Educational Institutions

 

D. Social Service Ministries

 

E. Magazines/Periodicals

 

F. International Ministries

 

G. Conventions/Lectureships/Assemblies/Forums/Conferences

 

H. Points of Interest